Dear HP Reseller or Distribution Partner,
On August 26, 2014 HP announced a worldwide voluntary recall and replacement program in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies for certain AC power cords used with AC adapters shipped with HP and Compaq notebook and mini notebook computers, as well as with AC adapters provided with accessories such as docking stations.
These AC power cords were shipped with products and accessories sold from September 2010 through June 2012. The AC power cords have the potential to overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard. Because these power cords pose a fire and burn hazard to customers, it is extremely important that they are validated on the program website. Customers should immediately cease use of the affected AC power cords.
HP customers affected by this program will be eligible to receive a replacement AC power cord for each verified, recalled AC power cord at no cost.
Note: Not all HP and Compaq notebook and mini notebook PCs were sold with an affected power cord. Customers should validate the power cord shipped with their notebook PC or purchased with an accessory, or as a spare.
HP is asking that customers take the following action
- Disconnect the PC notebook or accessory AC adapter AC power cord from the wall outlet or mains supply.
- Check the AC adapter end of the AC power cord for the marking “LS-15” molded into the connector. If you do not have “LS-15″ on the connector, the power cord is not affected.
- Please go to the HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Replacement Program website at:http://www.hp.com/support/PowerCordReplacement, to see if the notebook AC power cord is affected.
- The notebooks, AC adapters, and AC adapter accessories are not affected. Only the power cords are affected.
- Not all of the AC power cords with the “LS-15″ mark are affected.
- The validation process may show that the power cord is not affected by this recall.
- Verified, eligible, power cords will be replaced at no cost to the customer.
If you have a customer who may have one of the recalled AC power cords, HP strongly urges you to contact the customer and instruct them to visit the program website to validate their power cord. The recalled power cords are a potential safety hazard to customers if they continue to use them.
What HP is doing:
- Establishing a website for HP Notebook PC AP Power Cord Replacement Program at http://www.hp.com/support/PowerCordReplacement.
- Notifying registered customers via email of the HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Replacement Program.
- Notifying enrolled customers using HP Support Assistant.
- Using Social media, blog postings to notify customers.
What is Required of You:
- Please send the attached Customer Letter, via e-mail only, to all of your customers who have purchased an HP notebook from September 2010 through June 2012.
- Make sure all your retail outlets display the attached in-store poster. HP strongly requests that you help us reach potentially affected customers by displaying this poster prominently in store. Display of this poster is a regulatory requirement in certain countries.
- Please link the HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Replacement Program website (http://www.hp.com/support/PowerCordReplacement) to the recall section for your retail website.
- Direct all your customers inquiring about this program to the HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Replacement Program website identified above.
Director Commercial Channel Sales
Printing and Personal Systems
Mon - Fri : 8am - 6pm
Weekends : By Appointment
After Hours : By Appointment